- Visit Sergio Castro's Costume Museum... of course I am biased. This is a local humanitarian (see this blog) who gives tours every evening at 5:00 or 6:00pm at his museo in the center of town – Calle Guadalupe Victoria #38. His tour orients and educates his visitors about the different ethnic groups in Chiapas and displays his private collection of trajes (regional dress) from these groups. Go to Yok Chij, or see the side panel on this site to find out how to make a tour reservation.
- Stay at Bela's Bed and Breakfast. This is the number one rated B & B on Trip Advisor. She has a lovely centrally-located small B & B that serves a healthy breakfast and regional-type comida (lunch upon request).
- Visit San Juan Chamula and Zinacantan – there is a daily tour from the cross in the plaza in front of the cathedral at 9:30 am. You need merely show up and you will be found by very knowledgeable tour guide Cesár, who will take you to both villages and return you around 2:00 pm.
- Visit Amantenango de Valle and shop for gifts of hand-made and hand-painted pottery. The clay and quartz used for making the pottery is local. On your way back stop to eat in Teopisca at the zocalo in the Restaurante Central and buy their special tostadas de manteca.
- Visit the Museo de Medicine Maya – the Maya Medicine Museum on the north end of town.
- Visit el Cañon de Sumidero in Chiapa de Corzo.
- Visit the Nemi Zapata store that is a cooperative and supports the autonomous communities on Real de Guadalupe pedestrian street.
- Visit Lleñateros cooperative workshop where they make gorgeous paper and books from recycled and homemade paper – they take you on a tour of their facility.
- Visit Jardines de Orquídeas Moxviquil on the north end of town.
- Visit Huitepec Ecological Reserve for climbing, walking and birdwatching.
Saturday, November 5, 2011
The Top Ten Things To Do in San Cristóbal de las Casas, Chiapas, Mexico
This post will stray from working with Don Sergio. I've been in San Cristóbal enough now that I want to inform anyone interested on the best things to do when here.